Many a times, you would like to assign a task to a resource, who is not necessarily part of your team or board, and needs temporary access to the board to work on that task. The Shared Resource feature in SwiftKanban can help you achieve that by letting the shared team members access, update, or modify particular cards that they have been assigned to, with a read-only access to the rest of the cards on the board.
To use the Shared Resource features, perform the following steps:
- Identify User as a Shared Resource
- Enable the board policy to allow Shared resources on board
- Assign cards to the shared resources
You must have the admin right to perform the first two tasks.
Identifying User as a Shared Resource
By default, no users are marked as shared resource. To identify a user as a Shared Resource, perform the following steps:
- Navigate to Board menu > People and from the list, select the user you want to mark as the shared resource.
- Double-click the row you want to edit, or select the row and then click the Edit icon on the auto-hide menu. The user profile page is displayed.
- Click the Edit icon from the autohide menu on the profile page.
- Under the Details tab, scroll to Is Shared Resource field and select Yes in the dropdown, and click the save icon on the auto-hide menu.
A user with the admin right cannot be set as a shared member. Ensure the user you are about to add as Shared Resource is not already present in the list of team members on your board.
Enabling Board Policy to Allow Shared Resources on Board
To enable the board policy, perform the following steps:
- Click the Modify Process icon on the auto-hide menu, and then on the Modify Process page, click the Board Policies icon from the auto-hide menu.
- Select Allow Shared Resources on Board checkbox.
If a board has a card that is assigned to a shared resource, this preference under board policy cannot be modified unless that card is deleted, archived, or even the Shared Reource is converted into the Board member.
Assigning Cards to Shared Resources
To assign cards to the Shares Resource, perform the following steps:
To search a shared resource on a card, use the #shared text.
- Assign the card to the selected shared resource. To know more about how to assign the card owner, see the Change the Current Owner / Assign Multiple Owners topic.
Some Important Points to Remember
- The shared members can work on the assigned card and view the other cards with read-only access. However, if the last assigned card is made inactive (that is, it is deleted, archived, or moved to backlog) then the resource will no longer be able to view the board.